What Is CBD & How Does It Work?
It’s important to know what CBD really is and how it works before you start using it with pets. In short, cannabidiol (CBD) is one of over 100 different cannabinoids found in cannabis plants. Cannabinoids—CBD and THC, among others—are chemical compounds that can interact with receptors in the body’s endocannabinoid system (ECS), which is a system that regulates several essential processes in the body.
CBD works by interacting with two of the most important receptors in the ECS, known as CB1 and CB2. CB1 receptors are primarily found in the brain and are associated with mood, energy levels, pain, appetite, and more. On the flip side, CB2 receptors are found throughout the rest of the body and are mostly associated with inflammation and skin health. Although CBD doesn’t bond directly to either receptor, it can interact with both to help the body do its job better.
How does all that information carry over to pets like dogs and cats? It turns out perfectly, as all mammals have an ECS, and it works exactly the same.
Is CBD Safe for Animals?
CBD is still being researched, but it does appear to be safe for pets. In addition to helping regulate essential bodily processes, the ECS helps to break down and control CBD in animal bodies, just like it does in humans. One thing to remember is that, while CBD isn’t harmful to animals, there are specific CBD products developed with pets in mind. For example, the CBD dosage for dogs varies in amounts for small, medium, and large pets to ensure they’re receiving the proper daily amounts for relief.
How Can CBD Help Dogs?
- Aches & Pains: Most dogs are naturally active, and over time they can develop some of the same aches and pains that humans do. CBD oil for dogs can help by boosting the effects of naturally-occurring hormones in the ECS, such as anandamide, which helps regulate pain.
- Anxiety: Dogs can also be affected by anxiety, stemming from separation, loud noises, or crowds, which CBD has been shown to alleviate as well.
- Seizures & Sleep Issues: Two more common issues affecting our four-legged friends are seizures and sleep disorders, which a dose or two of any type of CBD for dogs can potentially stabilize.
How Can CBD Help Cats?
Just like dogs, cats can suffer from similar types of pain and aches. While CBD can help with these issues, the focus for felines is often geared more toward relaxation and calming properties.
- Environmental Changes: While all pets can be affected by changes in their surroundings, cats are particularly prone to these shifts, causing distress and even behavior issues.
- Appetite Issues & Vomiting: If your cat is having appetite issues or a hard time keeping food down, CBD has proven effective at both increasing appetite while also reducing nausea.
What Products Are Available for Pets?
Whether you have a new puppy, a senior cat, or any kind of furry pal in between, there are plenty of options available to fit the needs to nearly every pet. Currently, Frontier Jackson offers four different types of CBD pet products, including baked treats, tinctures (i.e., CBD oil for pets), skin sprays, and soft chews.
Things to Know Before Buying
Want to introduce your furry friend to the potential benefits of CBD? There are still a few things to know:
- Find Trustworthy Products: Before starting your pet on a CBD regimen, make sure lab-testing and results are available. At Frontier Jackson, we lab-test all of our products and provide the results to ensure full transparency.
- Products Designed for Pets: We touched on this above, but be sure to double-check that the products you’re ordering for your pet are specifically designed for pet use, NOT human consumption.
Now that you’re up to speed on everything you need to know to help your pet get started on a healthier life path, check out out Frontier Jackson’s full line of pet products, designed specifically with them in mind.
Try Frontier Jackson Premium CBD
Order Today & Get 15% Off
*Discount applied in cart